1. The foundation of the infant stimulation program is the interaction between a parent and child; the whole point is to enhance the close and loving relationship between you and your baby.
2. The activities are fun! You should and will enjoy the activities as much as your infant. Or better yet, you will enjoy your baby’s reaction to the activities.
3. Infant stimulation activities do not require a lot of time. An activity should not last longer than 15 minutes. Surely you can squeeze that in to your day!
4. There is nothing particularly special to buy, so infant stimulation activities are inexpensive. The few things you might purchase (such as orange or peppermint extract for scent stimulation or fabric for a tactical blanket or ball) are minor expenditures.
5. The human brain has its largest growth spurt within the first year of life and a baby’s environment has the strongest impact on his brain. Therefore do not wait for preschool; create a stimulating environment during your baby’s first year.
6. Although you do not need to wait until baby is born. Infant stimulation has been enthusiastically validated to do before birth. Your baby is able to sense and respond to the world while in the womb. And guess what research has shown to be the best time of day for pre-birth stimulation activities? Fetuses are most alert in the evening between eight and midnight. So rest up from your day and learn an activity to do with the beautiful child you carrying.
7. A father’s involvement is just as important as a mother’s. Infant stimulation activities are perfect opportunities for bonding, in fact bonding is the foundation of the program. And while mom bears the responsibility for the pregnancy, the birth, and the feeding, both parents can be and should be doing stimulation activities with their baby.
8. Actually these are activities that the whole family can enjoy with baby. There is no reason to limit infant stimulation activities to the parents and baby only, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles can learn and enjoy the program too! Just be certain they understand the goal and to always ensure that baby is enjoying himself.
9. Finding activities to do is free! I have dedicated The Babysmartees Blog to infant stimulation activities with 126 activities posted so far and eventually there will be 180, one for every day of infancy. Or for the whole program and its research go to your local library and borrow “How to Have a Smarter Baby; Infant Stimulation – Proven Ways to Enhance your Baby’s Natural Development.”
10. With all the good reasons to do infant stimulation activities, this is sincerely my number one reason. Sometimes day in and day out with an infant is not the most stimulating for you. I still remember how every day can feel the same. Having a variety of activities to do with your infant can change things up for you and help you get through another day without it feeling like you are reliving the same day as yesterday!